Treat yourself with some super crispy fried chicken at home. This fried chicken is perfect for a naughty lunch or dinner. Eat it as is with fresh hot chips or put this amazing fried chicken in an awesome fried chicken burger. When we make fried chicken at home, I make sure to use it in my fried chicken buffalo burgers.
Super Crispy Fried Chicken
- 10 pieces of chicken
- 400 ml buttermilk
- salt & pepper
- 3-4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Add chicken to a bowl or a large ziplock bag, then combine all marinade ingredients together and add it to the chicken.
- Set aside in the fridge to marinade for at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.
- After marinating the chicken, begin making your breading. Add all ingredients together and whisk.
- One by one, coat the chicken with the breading mixture.
- In a deep pan, heat some oil. Once the oil has come to the right temperature, start adding your chicken, one by one.
- Depending on the cut and thickness of the chicken, cooking time will vary.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove chicken from the oil and set to rest on a baking tray.
Tips for maKing the perfect chicken at home:
Below I will mention some of my key tips on making the perfect fried chicken at home.
- Make sure you let your chicken marinate in the buttermilk for as long as possible. I left mine for 24 hours.
- Using chicken pieces that still have the bone, we’ll ensure your chicken stays juicy.
- When breading your chicken, add about 3 tbsp of the leftover buttermilk to the flour. This will create little lumps of flavour.
- Test if your oil is hot enough, by dipping a wooden chopstick in the oil. If the oil bubbles, it’s ready.
- Make sure your oil isn’t too hot nor too cold. If it’s too hot it will burn. If too cold, it will become soggy.
- After cooking, let your chicken rest on a baking rack instead on paper towels. If you use paper towels, the bottom of the fried chicken will become soggy.
- Make sure you use an oil that is suitable for frying, use vegetable oil or canola oil.
Not a fan of fried chicken or need something a bit lighter? Why not try out some of my other chicken recipes? Click the links below for some of my other favourite chicken recipes: