about this recipe:
This is a delicious twist on Koulouri Thessalonikis. These Stuffed Koulouria are absolutely mouth watering and quite simple to make at home. If you don’t know what Koulouria are, they are Greek Sesame Bread rings. They are incredibly crunchy on the outside with an amazingly soft and slightly chewy center. This version of Stuffed Koulouria is covered in toasted sesame seeds and is filled with a delicious and creamy cheese filling consisting of feta and ricotta cheese.
- 150 g plain flour
- 350 g strong flour bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g sugar
- 300 ml warm water
- 2 sachets dry yeast
- 200 g feta cheese crumbled
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 500 ml warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- sesame seeds
- Pour the water into a mixing bowl and add the dry yeast. Dissolve the yeast and set aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the rest of the dough ingredients and knead in the mixer for 7 minutes on a medium power.
- Set dough aside to rest (30 mins). While the dough is rising, turn the oven on to preheat at 200°c fan forced.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, its time to start rolling out the dough. Divide the dough in 10 equal pieces.
- Once you have the shape (long rectangle), add your cheese filling. Then, fold the edges into each other and create a ring shape.
- With a brush, brush on the sugar and water mixture and then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cook for 15-20 mins until golden brown.
Stuffed Koulouria are to die for. They are the perfect breakfast food or as a snack throughout the day. These Koulouria have been stuffed with both feta and ricotta cheese, giving a modern twist on a classic Greek bread. When you make these Koulouria, your house will be filled with the aromas of fresh bread and cheese. They are so delicious that you and your friends/family will definitely come back for seconds.
Want to keep it traditional? Try our traditional Koulouria recipe: Koulouria Thessalonikis