Wholegrain pasta, basil pesto, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, mixed salad and chilli garlic marinated chicken. This cold pasta salad has a bunch of flavour. It’s perfect for when you want something yummy and still has all your daily vegetable needs.
In this recipe, I used a 4-leaf salad mix. If you prefer just baby spinach, that is fine, but I enjoy the mix as they have beetroot leaves which I love.
I frequently make this salad for my weekly meal-prep. You can have this for a light lunch or a light dinner. This recipe yields 6 servings.
You can use any pasta shape you like, I used wholegrain penne pasta. If you are gluten intolerant or coeliac, gluten free pasta also works for this dish.
Wholegrain Pasta salad with Pesto
- 1 packet of wholegrain penne pasta
- 1 packet of 4-leaf salad mix washed
- 150 g sun-dried tomatoes sliced
- 150 g feta cheese cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 50 g parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts butterflied
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cut chicken into even sizes. Marinate the chicken with the chilli flakes, garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil. Leave your marinated chicken in the fridge while you cook your pasta.
- In a pot, bring some water to the boil. Add salt and a drizzle of olive oil to the boiled water and cook the pasta according to the packet (for roughly 9 minutes).
- Wash salad mix and then add to a large tray.
- While your pasta is cooking, slice your sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese. Add these into the tray containing your salad mix.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain the pasta and rinse with cold water so the pasta stops cooking. Proceed by adding the pasta to the tray.
- In a hot non-stick pan, cook your chicken. Once the chicken is cooked, set aside and let it rest for five minutes. After, thinly slice and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Season your pasta salad with olive oil, salt and the pesto.
- With tongs, mix all the ingredients together. Serve with some freshly grated parmesan cheese.