The Greek equivalent of lasagna. Pastitsio is made with thick pipe pasta and beef mince sauce topped with a thick and creamy bechamel sauce. Can be made in advanced and frozen, so its easy and ready to cook whenever.
- 1kg of lean beef mince
- l large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 beef cube
- 1 splash of balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 ltr of Milk
- 150 grms butter
- 150 grms flour
- 2 egg yolks
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 nutmeg grated. If using powder 1 tsp
- 1/2 cup of grated cheese. I used parmesan and romano.
- 1 packet of thick pipe pasta
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- Dice the onion and the garlic and sauté them in a pot with olive oil, then add the spices and salt and pepper, so they can realise their aromas. Once the nicely browned add the mince.
- Once the mince has cooked add the beef cube and add a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Add one tine of diced tomatoes and the tomato paste. Add a 1/2 a cup of water and then let the sauce cook.
- While the sauce is cooking cook your pasta. Once the pasta is cooked strain and place in a bowl to mix.
- In the bowl add cheese and and one egg and mix with the pasta. We do this so the pasta can stick together.
- Add a bit of olive oil to the bottom of your tray then pour in the pasta mix and create an even layer.
- While you wait for your pasta to cook you can start making you bechamel sauce. In a pot add the butter and let it melt. Once the butter has melted add in the flour and whisk. Once incorporated slowly add in the milk while constantly mixing. Mix until you have a nice thick consistency.
- Once you have a nice thick sauce remove from heat and set aside. Add in two eggs yolks, while whisking. Then add in some cheese and season with salt and pepper, then finally grate half a nutmeg.
- By now your mince should be a nice consistency and ready to add to your tray. Add your mince to the tray on-top of the pasta. Sprinkle mince with some cheese.
- Once the meat layer is done its time to put the bechamel sauce on-top. Pour the bechamel and make the final layer. Sprinkle with cheese.