Korean food is one of my favourites to try make at home. I always try to recreate my favourite dishes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I can assure you this works. This is my reversion of Korean Spicy Beef Stew. This stew is fairly easy to make and is an extremely yummy dish. It has everything in it, beef, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, tofu and spring onions. It is a filling and hearty meal.
Korean Spicy Beef Stew
- 250 g Beef thinly sliced
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Korean chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Korean red pepper paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Korean bean paste
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 sping onion
- 200 g soft tofu
- 1 potato chopped
- 1/2 zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup enoki mushrooms
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- To prepare the meat, add all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and combine. Once combined add the meat, making sure the marinade covers all of it. Leave in the fridge overnight.
- Bring a stone bowl up to a high heat. Drizzle some sesame oil to the bowl and add the meat. Cook the meat for 2 minutes then add the chopped potatoes and spring onions.
- Once the meat is cooked and the potatoes slightly softened and in the rest of the vegetables (onions, carrots and zucchini)
- After 5 mins, cover with water. Add the tofu to the bowl and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes.
- Once the liquid has slightly thickened, turn off the heat. The stew is ready.
- Top with bean sprouts, enoki mushrooms and spring onions.
Making Korean Spicy Beef Stew
As always, the most import thing in quick and easy cooking is having all your ingredients prepared before you start cooking. This way you aren’t running around the kitchen like a headless chook. For the perfect stew, you will need good quality meat. I have used thinly sliced wagyu, I bought this from the Asian grocery store. For more flavour marinate this overnight, if possible.
Now the fun bit begins, cooking time! I used a stone bowl for this stew. If you don’t have a stone bowl, you can use a regular old pot. You should be able to find stone pots at the Asian grocery store, Ebay or Amazon.
You want your pot nice and hot before you add your meat in. I like to add my potatoes to the pot fairly early, so they can soak up the delicious flavours the meat releases. After the meat has browned add in the rest of the vegetables. Once they get a nice colour, top with water then add the tofu. I like using silky soft tofu in my stews, as I like the tofu to melt in my mouth. Once the liquid has slightly thickened, your stew is ready. Top with bean sprouts, enoki mushrooms and spring onions. The heat from the pot, means the stew will continue to cook.
The stew is now ready, serve with some steaming rice. This meal will leave you feeling warm, full and satisfied. Korean Spicy Beef Stew is one of my absolute favourite dishes to eat on a cold day.
more korean food?