Chunky Beef Pasta (Μακαρόνια Κοκκινιστά), is such a delicious variant of beef pasta. The beef has been cooked for hours in a tomato based sauce, until it’s beautifully tender and falls apart.
The sauce is seasoned with bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon – creating an exceptional pasta sauce. Spaghetti Bolognese won’t be your go-to pasta sauce after you try this Chunky Beef Pasta.
Chunky Beef Pasta
- 1 kg Beef (I used topside) cut into big chunks
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- 500 ml water or stock
- Begin this recipe by browning your meat. In a pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and wait till the pan is hot. Cook the beef until it has a nice brown colour on the sides. Once browned, remove beef from the pan.
- In the same pan, add the diced onions and garlic and saute until softened. Making sure you don't burn them.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to your pressure cooker and then add the beef, onions, and garlic. Add the cinnamon, bay leaves, and cloves to the pressure cooker. Saute all together for roughly 2 mins, or until spices release their flavours.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and the liquid (water or stock) to the pressure cooker. Give it a quick stir, then place the lid on, and pressure cook for roughly an hour.
- While your pasta sauce is cooking, cook your pasta. I used spaghetti, but you can use any pasta as per your preference.
- After an hour, remove the steam from the pressure cooker. Your beef should be nice and soft by now. If you see there is too much liquid, cook with the lid off until your sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle freshly grated parmesan cheese and eat up.
Cook the pasta sauce until the sauce has reduced down to a nice, thick and aromatic sauce. This sauce is super rich and goes perfect with even rice, pilaf and warm crusty bread.
To plate up your delicious Chunky Beef Pasta, sprinkle some freshly grated graviera or some parmesan and garnish with some fresh parsley. Viola! You now have the perfect pasta.