About this recipe:
After searching the internet for the best Bolognese sauce, I think I have finally found my go to recipe. This recipe takes bits and pieces of recipes I found online and adds them together to make the perfect Bolognese sauce.
This recipe was a total experiment but was a success with the family, they loved it and by the end was no leftovers. So it must have been a success.
Best Bolognese Sauce
- Olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion and 1 small red onion. diced
- 1 large garlic clove. sliced
- 500 grms beef mince.
- 2 medium carrots grated
- salt and pepper
- 50 ml red wine
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tin canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- fresh chopped parsley
- In a pot add or deep pan add the olive oil and saute the onions and garlic. Once slightly translucent, add in the carrot and cook for roughly 2 minutes or until slight softened.
- Add the mince and break down with a wooden spoon. At this point, I like to add in my herbs and spices so they can release their aromas.
- Cook until the mince has browned, then add in the red wine and let it evaporate.
- Once the wine has evaporated add in the diced tomatoes. If there is excess tomato left in the tin add a bit of stock or water to the tin and add to the sauce.
- Leave to cook/simmer so the sauce can thicken up. (around 20mins)
- Now that the pasta is cooked its time to add the finishing touches to your sauce by adding milk. Continue to simmer.
- Once reduced, take the sauce off the heat and add in freshly chopped parsley.
- Ready to serve. Add your pasta to a plate grate some fresh Parmesan on top and add your Bolognese sauce, sprinkle with some more cheese.
Making the perfect sauce:
Begin this delicious sauce by grating and dicing the carrot, onion and garlic. Once everything is prepped, add them to a pot/deep pan and sauté. Once slightly softened add in the minced beef and cook. It’s important to use could quality mince, make sure there is some fat in the mince though (that’s where all the flavour is).
I like to add in all my herbs and spices while I’m browning my meat. This way they have a chance to actually release all their aromas and fragrances. Once the meat has browned I added in my cooking wine. Once the wine has reduced, I then add in my tomatoes and then cook until the sauce has reduced. Afterwards, I add in the milk and simmer.
Why add milk?
It must sound crazy adding milk to a tomato based sauce. But it definitely tastes delicious. There are a bunch of different recipes online, some add the milk in at the start of cooking others add it towards the end. I decided to add the sauce towards the end as it give the sauce a creamier feel. I haven’t been able to find what benefits adding the milk actually does, some say it makes the mince more softer.
Simmer until the sauce has thickened. When the sauce has reduced, it’s ready. I like to add in some freshly chopped parsley to my sauce. Adding fresh herbs really takes the pasta to then next level.
Serve with spaghetti and add freshly grated parmesan cheese to make the ultimate spaghetti Bolognese at home.
p style=”text-align: left;”>