Red Peas or Greek Style Peas. This dish is the perfect dish for a cold winters day. This is a super hearty meal that is full of flavour. The peas have been stewed in a rich tomato sauce, that has been enhanced with fresh herbs. This dish is great for people who want to start eating a bit more greens but still want a delicious meal.
Greek Style Peas with Lamb - Arakas Kokkinistos
- 1 kg frozen peas
- 250 g lamb **optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion diced
- 4 carrots sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch dill
- Salt & Pepper
- 400 ml water
- In a large pot, add two tablespoons of olive oil. When the pot is hot, add in the lamb cutlets.
- Once the lamb has gotten a nice golden colour, add in the diced onions and the sliced carrots. Cook for roughly 2-3 minutes, or until the onions have softened. Afterwards, add in the tomato paste and the fresh dill.
- Cook the tomato paste for 2 mins, then add the diced tomatoes and the water.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 1 hour on a medium heat.
- After an hour remove the lid, if there is still too much liquid or the peas aren't soft... set the heat to high and cook for another 15 - 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and serve with some mashed potatoes or with some crusty bread and some Greek Feta Cheese.
- Enjoy this delicious dish.
More about this recipe:
This recipe is very simple, but the results are truly magnificent. In this version of the recipe I have added lamb, you can skip the lamb if you want a vegetarian version or substitute it with a different kind of meat. Personally, I think lamb goes perfectly with this dish and I recommend it.
Begin cooking the lamb. You want to make sure you get a nice colour on the lamb before adding the liquid, as it won’t get colour once you add the crushed tomatoes. For this recipe I use frozen peas, make sure you thaw out your peas before adding them. If you don’t thaw the peas out, it will bring the heat of the pot down. This is not the end of the world, but it will slow down the cooking process.
A key ingredient of this dish is the dill. Make sure to use fresh dill. Using fresh herbs bring the dish to a whole other level. You will truly notice a difference in flavour. I love the taste of dill, I add a generous amount. You can adjust this amount according to your liking. As for the sauce, I add one tin of chopped tomatoes. Of course, If you have fresh tomatoes – grating them will produce a more flavorsome sauce, but using a tin of crushed tomatoes is just super convenient. Cover with water and cook with the lid on until the meat and peas have become nice and soft.
Serve these beautiful peas with mashed potatoes and a generous amount of Greek feta cheese. Then, garnish with some more fresh dill. Make sure you have some bread on the side to soak up all the delicious sauce.